Friday, June 21, 2013

Staff Opportunity at Gettysburg

I think we can all agree that the events being held for the 150th Anniversary of Gettysburg will be a once in a lifetime experience for us as reenactors. During the 140th Antietam, I was given the opportunity to serve as the Sergeant Major of a large organization at the event. It was hard work but it was also an honor and privilege to do so. I will never forget the experience.

With that in mind, I want to reach out to our folks in 2d Battalion. First to say thank you to a wonderful group of reenactors. We have always had a lot of fun together and Gettysburg will be no different. Because the of this unique benchmark, I would like to give one of you the same opportunity that I was given by Mark Melroy and Duayne Anderson at Antietam years ago. I am taking "applications" (for lack of a better term) for someone who would like to server as the Sergeant Major of the 1st Division's 2d Battalion at the 150th Anniversary Gettysburg Reenactment on July 4-7.

A sergeant major was a battalion staff member responsible for keeping reports for the battalion and maintaining order within the ranks. In battle, he advanced on the left, behind the line of battle, to help guide troop movement.
 
You will need to have a solid grasp of the job. Experience as an NCO or officer is good but not required.  You need to have good understanding of the appropriate paperwork, safety, and how to form the battalion. Information can be found all over the web. I had no experience in the Sergeant Major roll when I was asked to do it only three weeks before Antietam. I sewed on the stripes and hit the books hard! Confidence is a plus!

YOU are the senior NCO in the battalion! You will be a team player with the Battalion Adjutant Capt. Strichko. Your new name will be Johnny-on-the-spot.

If you are interested, please email me at clsmith@5thohio.com or message me on Facebook. This will be the thing that all of your pards will never hear the end of around future evening fires.

Boys! Keep the Colors up and follow me!!

Christopher Smith, Colonel
Birney's Division, 2d Battalion

No comments: