Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Thanks to all

I would like to take a moment and reflect my thoughts and observations of this past weekend at Loudoun Hts. In my position working closely with Gen. Kelley I have the opportunity to move about all the camps, Union and Confederate meeting with people of the highest rank down to a first year private and of course our civilians. Not in my 12 years in this hobby have I ever and I mean ever heard an across the board approval of a weekend as we have just experienced.

Throughout the weekend I questioned just about everyone I came in contact with, inquiring as to their take on the event, including the amenities, battles and their impression overall of the weekend. With exception of a few minor adjustments (we have already addressed them) this was the most successful large reenactment ever done. I hope this is an example to others that we can have a great time portraying events in history, without being an attraction for profit. What we have accomplished is pure reenacting done for our own satisfaction.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank all those who attended and to the outstanding Command staffs of both armies. I would most of all I would like to express my gratitude to our generous and gracious hosts, Bill and Mona Raymond they are extraordinary people; who just love to have a couple thousand of their best friends drop by for a good time. I am looking very forward to our next year's event at the Raymond's.



Respectfully,
Brig Gen Michael D. Maffei
Chief of Staff, Birney's Division

No comments: